Thread: default settings for stuff

default settings for stuff

OK, so I finally decided that my little "collection of empty implants" problem has gotten a tad bit out of hand, and I needed to create a bank toon to store them on. This is relatively normal and such. Makes it a little easier to sort things out and find things and all that jazz.

Up until the point that I realize I have to not only rename 58 backpacks, but also change every one of them to list mode, and move the quality marker in front of the name marker.

And, of course, I have to do this every single time I buy a new backpack, container, whatever on every toon I have. Would it be at all possible to, on each character, have a setting that says "Use this default setting for all containers?" and keeps that until you change something? Then if you want one to be different, you can get the dialogue box again, and then change it for everything again, or have just that one be different?

This is, perhaps a minor irritation, until you have to do 58 backpacks at once, and then I could pull my hair out and go a little crazy. And YES, I have to have them ALL like that. It's an imperative, ok! (Don't mind me, I'll be over here in the corner washing my hands.)

Theo

PS: If anyone cares, the end result was 23 completely full packs of implants, 26 partially full packs of imlants, 3 packs of refined clusters, and 6 empty packs for sorting more into should the need arise.

PS2: Why is the spell checker hitting on "dialogue" anyway?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.

Some people can't spell "dialogue" properly with the 'ue' at the end.. no guesses for who wrote the spill-chucker!!

Yea, would be nice to be able to set SOME standard settings for stuff. Backpacks are a nuisance to maintain anyhow without some form of inventory for them. I downloaded something called AOIS .. for cataloguing backpacks. I know its not the same thing as you're looking for here, but it may find a use.
    http://www.halorn.com/aois.html is the linky for anyone reading this who hasn't got it.

Perhaps there might be some way of automating it, if FC left some programming handles in for 3rd parties to make useful programs for doing some of the more monotonous tasks like sorting out backpacks or missions etc. Or perhaps that takes the piss somewhat out of it being a Game lol

Well, I have used a program to make the whole lot of them searchable, otherwise it really would be an unmanageable mess. But that's not my issue at with this backpack thing.

Theo
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.

Couldn't you just copy your prefs file over from the toon where the backpacks were already renamed, sized, etc?
    Derishen - 220/29 Martial Artist - Setup
    Darcoben - 170/12 Adventurer - Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Derishen View Post
    Couldn't you just copy your prefs file over from the toon where the backpacks were already renamed, sized, etc?
    This is what I do when I play on multiple computers, but I don't know if it will work for different characters.

This is something I've wished for too for about the same reasons. Of all my packs except for one they're all set up in the same kind of way Theo mentioned and eventually my chars can have a lot of packs in the bank, especially my trade skill char. Something like a default pack set up would be a nice little time saver. It's not a big deal but would be handy.

You can replace the char pref files of one char with another. I have a set of char prefs stored for new chars to get things set how I like them already for instance. I want my various windows and such just so and it'd take about thirty minutes to do that. By using new char pref files I have on hand I get it done in about thirty seconds more time than it takes to log the new char out then back in.

Then with backpacks each one has it's own XML file in the containers folder of that char's pref folder. Haven't tried it but it should work to find the XML files for the right packs and copy/move them over to the new mule's pref folder. Then I guess if you had set up an empty pack the way you want it, copy it somewhere and call it default pack you could then use copies of that file to replace the new XML container files after buying some new empty packs. Although it'd still be handier if the game let you do that without having to resort to such things.

This was an annoyance to me as well. Mind if I big list it?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    go ahead but please also include other suggestions for GUI default stuff such as the "Locking chat window position" thread (I made a post there about defaults). I'm sure theres other similar stuff too but I'm at work and dont have time to search it all now.

Bump for this. As well as cloning GUI setups across to other characters (My 220 has the ideal placement I want of chat windows, hotbars, targets, etc. Setting it up for all my alts is a nightmare)
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Borgina View Post
    go ahead but please also include other suggestions for GUI default stuff such as the "Locking chat window position" thread (I made a post there about defaults). I'm sure theres other similar stuff too but I'm at work and dont have time to search it all now.
    Can you link me to the threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Bump for this. As well as cloning GUI setups across to other characters (My 220 has the ideal placement I want of chat windows, hotbars, targets, etc. Setting it up for all my alts is a nightmare)
    Doing that is pretty easy actually. What you can do is start a char, set everything up the way you want then log it out (may need to log the char out then back in once before any changes will be saved properly though). Then go to the pref folder for that char, copy it and put a copy somewhere else named something like "new char prefs." Later when you make a new char just start it, log it out, deleted the contents of its pref folder and copy paste in the files you have in the "new char prefs" folder. I mentioned that in my prior post here too.

Another option is to make copy your 220's pref folder somewhere. Start a new char, log it out, replace the contents of its pref folder of what's in the copied one then log it in and get rid of all the icons and such in your short-cut bar from the 220. Log it out and make a copy of that char's pref folder somewhere and you're set for all new chars. May also want to get rid of all the "container____-_____.xml" files and chat log files too while you're at it.

It would be nice if something like that could be done in game without such methods but at least with that you likely only need to do in once per char. With packs you would likely want to do it with each new one you get.

Do feel free. Default setting for backpacks and new characters would be one of those small but welcome changes that just make things run more smoothly.

Theo

Can you link me to the threads?
    I dunno how (yeah yeah call me noob) but I think you have added the thread I mentioned anyway now.
    Also now found a thread titled "stop making me click on mouse lag fix" where someone is complaining about having to change the setting of this on every new character they make.
    I'd just like an option to set up my GUI, chat windows etc and make that my account default so that every new char I make is already set up how I like.
    Last edited by Borgina; May 7th, 2008 at 07:20:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Derishen View Post
    You can.
    All Containers seem to have a unique ID (some may have noticed that when recieving a "plain" BP back from an alt/friend to find it named in the own inv).
    Go to /prefs/accountname/charID/Containers and copy all the files named
    Container_<number>x<number>.xml to the char that you want to have the pre-made settings on.
    They say, the early bird catches the worm.
    However, the second mouse gets the cheese.