Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Respawn time on Smuggler's Den mantis mobs

Bump for a sensible solution everyone wants, 10 minute respawns. No one has problems with the current style of mission besides the 25 minute respawns (hence no subway or CoH complaints besides the door access).

Since 220's can still help in a tagging mish too (who do you think is going to clear, calm, snare?), all it does is take all my mini-daily rewards and turns them into a single and 50% smaller+much less tokens daily reward. Your suggestion offers nothing but an alternative to waiting in the form of trains. I prefer to wait a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I tried to be patient with you, and if you wouldn't type several paragraphs for a single counter-point half the people in this thread would not have thought you were talking about instancing.
    You see, once again here you go saying I'm talking about something I'm not. I never said to instance it, in fact I said in a prior post to another person they wouldn't need to. Now yet again you're saying I want to instance it like how you said my idea promotes training. All that is because you just don't read what's written then still try to post responses. Your responses then can be well off the mark and you start ranting about something I didn't even say.
    I didn't say "You are talking about instancing", I said people "thought" you were. If you do not remember, it was someone else who first assumed you were wanting to instance the dailies, and as I have been saying, I chose to read the few sentences they typed not the few pages you typed. I apologized for my mistake, now what is your excuse for the accusations that I am lieing, that my screenshots are not trustworthy, that I train players without regards to them, and that I am only concerned with being able to till use 220's to do my dailies...which your suggestion does nothing to stop?

Make your own thread Phoenix. After going back and reading everything you typed in detail I found your suggestion shallow and unnecessary. No one will support you when you are trying to fix something that isn't broken and are arguing against a sensible scale down of regular mob spawntimes.
    Last edited by Gatester; Jun 24th, 2010 at 16:36:06.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Seriously. Losing agg is not nigh impossible in Smuggler's Den. I've done it on a level 120 shade, of all things, once self buffed and once with GSF (which was much easier) on the two occasions I have had to do the Mantis mission solo. Every room has mantis mobs waiting? Well just train them back 5-6 rooms and run back. You may have to go back and forth a number of times, but it works.

Note that no gimps/froobs/noobs/any other players were harmed during these training exercises.
    If all you have to do is go one or two rooms forward or in some cases swing back around a bit then into a different room to your next goal there would be no benefit in trying to train from goal to goal. There also would really not be enough room to do all that running to loose agg and it wouldn't even be possible when each room has mobs. Training in such situations would really not benefit you at all.

Then 120 is basically cap for the lowbie mantis mission and it's always easier to survive at a higher lvl than a lower one. By about 120-125 you would be sent to do the smugg's area missions instead. Perhaps that's what you were doing, charge through the mantis area to get to the smugg's area where there are rooms where mobs don't agg on sight. Doing that wouldn't help you get missions in the mantis area done.

----------------

Bump for a sensible solution everyone wants, 10 minute respawns. No one has problems with the current style of mission besides the 25 minute respawns (hence no subway or CoH complaints besides the door access).
    There are actually. A guy in my org got the CoH one in the 70s range often enough. After getting it a couple times or so he decided not to bother with them anymore and just deletes them as the mobs towards the end were a bit much for his shade and he didn't want to deal with all the warping in of a higher lvl so he can sit by the front door to get that supposed solo mission done. Seen other people on the forums complain that kill mission X is too much for their char, takes too long, they don't want to bother and just delete them, even when they offer rewards at each stage.

Since 220's can still help in a tagging mish too (who do you think is going to clear, calm, snare?)
    Even if they do use a higher lvl char to make it easier at least with places to go people won't be able to leave the lowbie at the front door while the 220/lvl capped char for the zone goes off to kill. It also means they need to be more careful since they do have a lowbie in tow. Then just rooting and snaring wouldn't work as you can't have agg.

all it does is take all my mini-daily rewards and turns them into a single and 50% smaller+much less tokens daily reward. Your suggestion offers nothing but an alternative to waiting in the form of trains. I prefer to wait a few minutes.
    And once again you never read what's written. As I've said different times now they could provide those mini rewards for other multi-staged mission types too, not just kill ones. Then they could have multiple goals, not just one at the end as you keep going on about. That is one big reason why they can't just train to the goal as there are multiple goals not spaced too far apart and each can't be completed when you have agg.

So again around where each of the specific mob types you're sent to kill would be located there'd be a goal to reach. You kill or calm your way along, do the task at that goal and move to the next. The smugger mobs would need to agg on sight to make the smugg area one work though.

I didn't say "You are talking about instancing", I said people "thought" you were.
    And if you look up that person's follow up after I responded they said they didn't read my suggestion the first time and once they did that he/she had the complete wrong idea of what I was suggesting. You know, sort of like what you do except without the going back to read what I said part.

WTF. So now I don't know what mission I am doing? I know the dungeon and what I am doing well enough to not warrant any maybes. Second, you can clear an area that is just a few rooms fine if you extend your train to the next rooms. Besides, the respawn time change wins the easiness argument you waved when we were talking about killing the mobs in any order in an earlier thread.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

And if you look up that person's follow up after I responded they said they didn't read my suggestion the first time and once they did that he/she had the complete wrong idea of what I was suggesting. You know, sort of like what you do except without the going back to read what I said part.
    Funny thing is, I did the exact same thing. I mentioned it once over a week ago now after reading their post, then corrected myself. It makes me wonder who the one who has not been reading is.

Now, let's look back at some things you said and see how your complaints to me work with your current version of the mission suggestion. You wish for players in the 90-125 range to, intended to be completed without the assistance of others, reach 8 or 9 areas to "tag" locations to match the current mantis reward while not having aggro from any monster.

To a 220 the respawn rate will seem painfully slow but for those that just crawl through a greatly increased spawn rate will mean mobs will be spawning on top of them making it not something they can survive. That would mean they'll be even more inclined to delete smuggs missions which as stated show up often and for a long time (around lvl 105-199 it seems).
    So those that are just crawling through will be having to kill every mob in an area so they can move to the next step of a mission.

Honestly, there is no way to get overwhelmed with a 10 minute respawn.
    Sure there is.
    • There are a lot of those mobs.
    • You could get agged by more than you'd suspect.
    • Other players could come along and drop off many more new friends for you to play with.
    • Some higher lvl mobs not far from the lower lvl ones could get mixed in with the lower ones you're fighting or were brought to you by someone else that got in over their heads or are training to some location (they can follow you forever now).
    • The last person through could have been a 220 that insta killed the mobs so instead of one extra mob at a rate you can deal with a mass of then could suddenly pop up around you.
    There are indeed a lot of these mobs, and now we must kill everyone of them.

If you can get wild aggro that means even more mobs you have to kill or you cannot continue your mission.

You claim there could be even more mobs dropped off in a room, which means even more fun for those having to kill every single one.

Now what are these lowbies supposed to do when a ravager is parked on top of their "tagging" location?

In the kill mission, if mobs are already dead you are waiting in the safety of another room for those mobs to respawn so you can pull and kill them. With a tagging mission, you have to be in the potentially dangerous room never knowing if a horde of mantis will suddenly respawn OR if you will be stalled in updating a mission because mantis continue to respawn and aggro you.

There's still always going to be training but that's a problem created by other players.
    So you did admit at one point that there would be training, except now training would be the strongest argument against your suggestion so it has been deemed unlikely to happen because

I saw a soldier trying to get to the smuggs area by the looks of it that tried to just run through the lowbie mantis area. Instead of losing agg he kept building up a bigger train of mantises till they eventually killed him.
    which returns us to the issue of

Other players could come along and drop off many more new friends for you to play with.
    where all those mobs that killed the trainer are now stacked on the path to or next to a "tagging" location.

Now what exactly did your suggestion accomplish that would be better than a simple 10 minute respawn rate?

WTF. So now I don't know what mission I am doing? I know the dungeon and what I am doing well enough to not warrant any maybes. Second, you can clear an area that is just a few rooms fine if you extend your train to the next rooms.
    So explain how one is suppose to lose all agg when running maybe just one room over and entering a room that also has mobs which agg on sight. Generally you need to put a decent amount of space and/or obstacles between you and the mobs to lose the agg you have. Then that tends to be more difficult when you have agg from many mobs as while some may drop agg when you duck behind something, others don't. If you have to run around the same area the agg you lost can be picked up again. We're not talking wide open spaces here, you're in congested little rooms each with mobs that agg on sight.

I said maybe you were running through to the smuggs area as that made the most sense as it does provide more space to lose agg and fit the indicated lvl.

Besides, the respawn time change wins the easiness argument you waved when we were talking about killing the mobs in any order in an earlier thread.
    You didn't like the idea as it apparently at this time would require multiple missions to be uploaded so each could count the mob kills individually. With the idea I proposed here which mobs in which order you killed wouldn't matter so you'd only need the one mission uploaded which is what you wanted.

--------------------------

Funny thing is, I did the exact same thing. I mentioned it once over a week ago now after reading their post, then corrected myself. It makes me wonder who the one who has not been reading is.
    You've said you had the wrong idea in posts before, then proceeded to still have the wrong idea.

Now, let's look back at some things you said and see how your complaints to me work with your current version of the mission suggestion. You wish for players in the 90-125 range to, intended to be completed without the assistance of others, reach 8 or 9 areas to "tag" locations to match the current mantis reward while not having aggro from any monster.

So those that are just crawling through will be having to kill every mob in an area so they can move to the next step of a mission.

There are indeed a lot of these mobs, and now we must kill everyone of them.

If you can get wild aggro that means even more mobs you have to kill or you cannot continue your mission.

You claim there could be even more mobs dropped off in a room, which means even more fun for those having to kill every single one.
    If you're on your own you tend to draw less agg than if you're in a group that sticks close together. So if you're on your own you may not need to kill everything. Although if the spawn times are not changed you'd have more time to do so. Then if you're in a group and draw more agg you have others with you to help deal with it.

With kill ones unless you had some form of crowd control nanos (roots, snares or calms) when doing it at the lvl you get the missions you can't really run around with a growing number of unneeded mobs bashing on you. If you pulled agg from mobs you didn't need you'd have to kill them before moving on or run the risk of gathering too much agg and getting killed yourself. To make matters worse if they were required for a later step in the mission chain it means you'd then need to find more later or wait for them to respawn.

If it doesn't matter what mobs you kill just that you don't have agg when you do each task the order and number of mobs killed doesn't matter. Sometimes you'd end up killing more, sometimes less.

Now what are these lowbies supposed to do when a ravager is parked on top of their "tagging" location?
    The same can happen with kill ones too so they'd have to deal with them either way.

In the kill mission, if mobs are already dead you are waiting in the safety of another room for those mobs to respawn so you can pull and kill them. With a tagging mission, you have to be in the potentially dangerous room never knowing if a horde of mantis will suddenly respawn OR if you will be stalled in updating a mission because mantis continue to respawn and aggro you.
    First off as I said before mobs with the kill ones they can spawn out of order as people run through to areas to do other things, not just what you're doing. So they can pop at unexpected times and not in the right order for your mission. Then others could show up again to run through to somewhere else to do something else keeping the order out of whack, not everyone may team with you and so forth. So you're not going to always be able to sit in safety as you wait for a nice cycled order of spawns that works just right for your mission.

Then with the task based mission as I've said before the task you're doing relates to a thing or NPC that can not be killed or destroyed so is always there. If you make it to the location, it's there, you deal with your remaining agg if any, do the task and move on.

Part of the value of the change is to provide some unavoidable risk to doing it so there's a reason to give those healthy multi staged rewards. If you can just park a char in relative safely at the front door while a higher lvl not even in your team range kills for you a long ways away it just doesn't seem that deserving of some significant rewards.

So you did admit at one point that there would be training, except now training would be the strongest argument against your suggestion so it has been deemed unlikely to happen because

which returns us to the issue of

where all those mobs that killed the trainer are now stacked on the path to or next to a "tagging" location.
    If I went through your posts and selected small segments I could make you seemingly say all sorts of things that fit my agenda too.

Often enough people use their higher lvl or 220 to do the killing. A higher lvl can deal with having agg on them so doesn't really worry about the agg they could get. Furthermore having agg doesn't prevent you from killing certain mobs in a certain order for a lower char tucked away someplace fairly safe a long ways off.

Now with the task missions you can't have agg. So charging through not worrying about how much agg you have would not be possible. If you have agg you can't complete the task. Also the higher lvl can't leave the lowbie at the door, the lowbie needs to come along. So one would kill or calm their way along keeping the lowbie safe, not charge off hoping the lowbie can survive then deal with the agg later.

If you're doing it with the char in question there's even more reason to kill or calm your way through rather than training. First off having agg again prevents you from completing the task. Then you're not as capable of surviving should you wind up with a large mass of mobs on you. So you'd want to deal with things carefully.

Then since the other dailies would also require one to not have agg those doing them would also not go training about for the same reasons you can't. The only place that would have some real risk of a train would be those running to the mantis queen room to farm eggs. Although that exists now as well. Plus as the mob spawn times wouldn't need to be changed if you chewed your way forward while doing the high lvl mantis mission there wouldn't be as much to anything for that person to train onto you.

Now what exactly did your suggestion accomplish that would be better than a simple 10 minute respawn rate?
    So you said above there are a lot of mobs there and from all your talk about training and how things may spawn at unwanted times so evidently the mobs aren't always real easy to deal with. Which bring us back to my point of getting more than you'd expect and may be able to deal with more often when mobs start spawning much more quickly. Then as they are showing up more often that would actually make training worse. People would still be running through with higher lvls to get from point A to B, with faster respawn times they would be more likely to have larger trains. Which again is fine for the high lvls but potentially big trouble for the lower lvls doing the various missions themselves.

Smuggs missions in particular cover a very wide lvl range. Seems like about lvl 100-199. Things those in the top end of that range can brush off easily could be unmanageable for those in the bottom end but they're all stuck in there together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123